In an Axis network video product, the AXIS OS functions as the operating system, being the software that manages all aspects of the product’s performance. That includes, for example:
- The imaging pipeline that collects and processes raw video data
- The web server that transmits video over a network
- The camera’s web interface for access via an internet browser
- The event handling system that relays alarms and messages to users
- All API interfaces (like VAPIX and ONVIF) for handling integration with other systems
AXIS OS is customized for each product, to support both the imaging hardware and any product specific features. However, AXIS OS is developed on and released from a single code branch, ensuring that different product models will have similar or same behavior if they have the same AXIS OS version. Before a new product is released, the stability of the AXIS OS is ensured through extensive testing of the product’s features.
After release, AXIS OS updates are scheduled to add features and/or to fix bugs. These updates are also tested extensively, both to ensure continued stability and to maintain backward compatibility.